Thursday, February 11, 2010

A scattering of stories


It has been a while since I last posted. I guess I just haven't been in the mood to type lately. Today I needed to share a few things though.

I just wanted to post a couple things from my day that I found both insightful and humorous.

First- My Braden.

This kid cracks me up. I really wanted a girl.... I am SO GLAD that Heavenly Father sent me Braden. Most days he is the sweetness that keeps me going. Today for example. I have had a depressed week. Not sure why... just feeling down in the dumps. Today was especially bad. I was on the verge of tears most of the day. No real reason other than I hated myself and was mad at me for being a lazy depressed fats-o and not doing what I knew needed to be done. Depression really is a self defeating disease. Today I was caught in the downward spiral of it. Anyway- I was helping Braden get dressed at about 3:00..... yes, 3:00 in the afternoon... I already told you I was having a bad day alright. lol. So I was having my own little pitty party and I looked at Braden and I asked "Why is mommy having such a tough day today?" (more talking out loud to myself than expecting an answer.) He promptly looked at me and struck his BEST strongman pose and with grunting effort under the weight of his manly biceps he said "Me having a TOUGH day too!"

Immediately I had to giggle and smile. This little son of God had just given me the answer and lift that I had needed. I suddenly realized that life is all about our attitude toward it. Braden simply changed my word tough - meaning life is hard and sucks, for his word tough - meaning fight back and be strong! So I decided to take his attitude and have a TOUGH day instead of a tough day. It was still a hard afternoon... but it got better. I fought back and didn't let the depression have me... I was TOUGH. When I felt weak I flexed my muscles and thought I AM TOUGH! Thanks to my 3 year old son I had a better day... he helped me remember what a BIG thing a little attitude change can be.

Second - Amalyssa
This evening I was browsing the news when I saw this head line "Frisbee inventor dies in Sevier County." It caught my attention for two reasons.
First -Frisbee is a new family favorite for us. I never really thought much of Frisbee until Amalyssa came home with one from a party a few summers back. Now we LOVE to go toss the Frisbee around in the yard and it is a MUST HAVE if we go to the park. The simple Frisbee disk now holds fond family memories for me.
Second - because I was sure the guy was dead a long time ago! I mean... Frisbee's have been around since the beginning of time haven't they!?
So when I saw this headline I said out loud in shock "Oh my... the inventor of the Frisbee died." The whole family was in the room and came sauntering over to the computer to check out what had mom so shocked. Amalyssa asked what I was talking about so I explained that the man who had made the first Frisbee had died at 90 years old, so now he was back with Heavenly Father. Amalyssa cocked her head and said "Oh... that is excitingly sad." What a great statement on death. It is sad for those of us left behind, but such an exciting and wonderful thing for those who are allowed back into the arms of our Heavenly Father.

I love how simple children see the world and how much wisdom their innocence can lend to us 'wise adults'. I am very grateful for all my many blessings. I truly have such petty complaints that I am ashamed of myself whenever things are put into focus for me. I am blessed beyond measure.

Now I am going to get some sleep so that I can have a better day tomorrow... I don't want to have to be 'TOUGH' again. :)

3 comments:

Marie said...

Tomorrow WILL be a better day! *wink, wink* =D

Laura said...

Thanks for this post. I think you are a wonderful woman for seeing the wisdom in their words! It goes to show that you are staying in touch with what really matters. And I think from now on, I"ll always remember Braden's version of tough!

sweets said...

I love the story's! Thank you for helping remember to lesson to my boys boys and not just set them a side. P.S. I love the pic its so cute!