Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A day of change

Well.... it finally came.... I knew that it would. I am not sure I was completely ready for it... but then I suppose I never really would be.

Scott and I made a deal 5 1/2 years ago when we found out we were having a beautiful baby girl. Scott said he wanted his daughters to have long hair. Jokingly he said he didn't want to let them cut it until their 16th birthday. I told him we could grow our daughters hair long until they were old enough to ASK for it to be cut. Well.... that time has come.

With Amalyssa going to school every day I have been more adamant that it be brushed and look nice for school. Usually this requires pulling it back in some fashion. She doesn't have much patience for this kind of thing. She doesn't like getting her hair done. Brushing is fine... but only once.. MAYBE twice a day. I have told her that part of having long hair is taking care of it. For a while she decided long hair was worth the effort. This past month though she has changed her mind. She has been asking to cut her hair short. I made sure she MEANT it before we ran for a pair of scissors. I wanted her to KNOW what decision she was making.

Tonight we went over to Scott's dear cousin Amanda to have it cut. Amanda is an amazing hair dresser... I love you Amanda!!!!

My little girl is growing up... I haven't shed a tear...yet... (trust me there are waterfalls of tears in my heart).

"So STOP rambling and show us some PICTURES already!!!!"





Ok- now I get to ramble again - My blog.. my ramble!! LOL
I LOVE the hair cut!! Really I do. I think it is ADORABLE on her. To me she looks happier... bubblier... stronger. I am proud of her for really making this choice on her own. I thought I was totally ready to shed her long locks. It was ME who had to do it, brush it, and be embarrassed when it was snarly. So why am I crying inside now that it is gone? I think it is bitter sweet tears. I am happy she is so strong and independent. I am excited to see her growing up. But... I am seeing my little girl grow up..... become her own person... not need her mommy so much anymore (which in MANY ways is a joyous thing!). I am really surprised at how hard this is really hitting me.

Thanks Amanda for the wonderful job you did!
You are so sweet and awesome!!!


Before we cut her hair Amanda helped me do some quick research into hair donation. I have heard of it before but never looked into it much. Basicaly you cut off your long hair in a pony tail and then they can use the hair to make a wig. The wigs are given to children who loose their hair due to illness or medical treatment. We found a place that would take the length of hair that we could get off Amalyssa without going shorter than we wanted to. Amalyssa was thrilled with the idea. We showed her some before and after pictures on the site of girls who have gotten wigs from donated hair. She thought it was a great idea and is so excited to send her pony tail into them. I think that is a good part of the reason I am so emotional. My little girl cares... she wants to make a difference to someone out there... and I know that it WILL make a difference to someone. Have I said I am proud of her? I am.


Ok... enough SOBBING from me before I really do leak water from my eyes instead of just my heart. To lighten the mood really quick here is a cute story. I went to check on her after she had gone to bed. She called me into the room and said (in all seriousness) "Mom.... tonight is my first night with short hair. I keep having bad thoughts that someone is going to come and chop it all off." hehe... she is too cute... dosen't she know we already DID chop it all off!??

Here is a final parting shot for you of her long hair. Dad loved her long hair, so this morning she let me take 45 min to curl her hair and take pictures. As I made this page for her to put in her memory book it really hit me that beauty is not on the outside... but truly on the inside. She is the same Amalyssa that she was before the hair got chopped (somehow I think I expected the bad parts of her attitute to leave with the hair... it didn't). She is still, and always will be a daughter of God... my daughter here on earth... and beautiful in every way.


I LOVE YOU AMALYSSA!

7 comments:

Marie said...

Cute! Cute! Cute! She looks more grown up!... I bet you LOVE that!

Laura said...

She is such a beautiful girl! I can't believe how much she has grown up. And she's very photogenic too! But I must admit, I LOVE the haircut!! Like you said, she looks so bubbly and energetic. Hopefully she still likes it today! :)

stephshappenings@blogspot.com said...

I would not have recognized her! She looks so different! It's great!

sweets said...

oh my she is so cute. I love the hear.

Anonymous said...

She is sooo cute Tina, she looks so grown up I cant believe it.

kieran said...

Oh Tina, her hair is so so cute. It totally fits her personality, I love it!

Romy said...

I love her new hair cut. She looks older with short hair, but it looks great on her.